College Life: Your Boyfriend Can Be Your Best Friend
Katherine Daniel ~ Editor-in-Chief
I have never been the type of girl to have a lot of “girl” friends. I always had more “boy” friends in high school because I got along with them better. The girls at my high school were sometimes really mean and stuck up, but of course, that is at almost every school. The few “girl” friends I had were mostly upperclassmen and graduated before I did. I have had many people, who at one point in time I thought were my best friends, but turns out they were just using me or we fell out of contact. But, the one thing I will always say is that my significant other is my best friend. He has been there through so much and even though there are some rough days, I still love him at the end of the day. Some people do not like when significant others do almost everything together, but Adam and I do a lot together, and we both enjoy it. We have been together since the beginning of high school and are now engaged in college. We are best friends and have been together for almost six years now. It is okay to consider your significant other your best friend. Your significant other should be there for you to cry to and to celebrate with in your biggest accomplishments in life. Here are some of the reasons why my fiancé is my best friend:
- He annoys the t-total crap out of me. Yeah, that is right. I said it. This is what best friends and significant others do and that is annoy the t-total crap out of you. There are times when Adam does certain things really aggravate me but I love every minute of it because I love him. Somehow later, I will end up laughing at myself for being annoyed at something so stupid or end up apologizing for overreacting over the situation.
- He is always there for me, no matter what. He might not answer his phone sometimes because he is playing his video games and his phone is on silent, but he is always there for me. There is no doubt in my mind that he would drive three hours one day to the beach to make me feel better and get away for a relaxing time at my favorite place. Want to know why? Because he did over Christmas break when I was down and wanted to get away for a couple of days.
- He makes me laugh and smile. After a long day, he always knows how to make me laugh and smile, even when I am in the worst mood possible. If you can find someone who can make you laugh at the stupidest things and smile by just doing the smallest thing, then keep him because that is really hard to find. Trust me on that.
- He believes in me. Everyone needs someone to be their “cheerleader” in life and help them get through their biggest strengths and their worst weaknesses. Fun fact, I was his actual cheerleader on the cheer squad during football season when he played in high school. Just as I was his cheerleader for the sport he played, he has been my cheerleader throughout life. He and I both try to pick each other when we are worried about schoolwork and have certain things going on in our lives. The most important thing is for the two of you to believe in each other.
- I am his princess, but I am also treated like one of the guys. If you do not get this, then he might not be your best friend after all. You know the saying, “you date one, you get them all”? Well this is what I mean about his friends. I know so much about all of his guy friends because we are at “the farm,” the place where the guys live and hang out every once in a while. It is kind of awkward for me to be the only girl in the group when we hang out, but that is okay. I am hoping they will get girlfriends soon, but we will see.
- There is no such thing as private. If you two are best friends, you both do not really care what the other one thinks because they are used to it and understand. There is no such thing as awkwardness or privacy in your relationship because you are both open with each other. Getting to be my complete self around my significant other is probably the best thing ever.
- He knows EVERYTHING and still LOVES me. Adam knows literally everything. From the good parts, to the bad parts, and to the real ugly parts. Trust me on the real ugly part – he has tried to wake me up in the morning sometimes and figured that out. No one is perfect in life. I mean no one and if you think that, y’all got a reality check coming soon. It is nice to have someone who knows I am a human being and will make mistakes in life. I am pleased to have someone who picks me up when I am struggling and I can go to him and say, “I am having a real bad day, please love me.”
- We are A LOT alike. After being together for a long time, we have found out that we are much alike and like a lot of the same things. We love watching Netflix and movies together. I like watching him play video games because I used to play a lot of video games when I was in my teens. Yeah, I was a gamer for a little while, but I like to play on the Wii. I am still learning how to play Battlefield with that Xbox controller, but it is still kind of hard. We like the same foods. When we go to the beach we love to go to Duck Donuts and then go get all-you-can-eat crab legs. This girl can gobble up some crab legs, y’all. You have no idea.
Anyways, enough of my talking because I am already hitting 1,042 words. My one hope for you all is that you find that significant other in your life who is your real, true, best friend and hold on to them tight. Cherish them for life.